Our second-generation QTFM sensor is now ready! The G2 has been redesigned from the ground up to enable advanced magnetometry applications requiring uncompromising sensitivity in a rugged, small, low-power package. The design choices for G2 focussed on magnetometer integration on compact unmanned aerial and underwater platforms (drones).
A photo of the QTFM Gen-2 sensor head (left) and electronic control unit (right)
The G2 is a significant upgrade over our G1 sensor (2017). The G1 was already the most compact and sensitive commercial scalar magnetometer, and now G2 is stepping things further.
- More Robust: The new G2 is significantly more robust and ruggedized for use in challenging geophysical applications
- No slew rate limitation: G2 can tolerate arbitrarily noisy/fast-changing magnetic field environment without unlocking
- Negligible deadzone: While the G1 had a large planar deadzone, G2 only has a negligible axial deadzone (+/- 7-degree cone). This means G2 can be used at any latitude without orientation concerns.
- Increased Bandwidth: In G2, the magnetic field is sampled at 500 Hz. The high sampling speed combined with internal digital filtering help avoid aliasing artifacts induced by sensor platform (UAV/UUAV) and other noise sources
- Gradiometer mode: Multiple sensors can be easily linked together to form a synthetic gradiometer with a very high common-mode noise rejection ratio (CMRR)
- Triaxial vector attachment: In most high-performance magnetic anomaly detection applications (MAD), external vector magnetometers are needed to remove internal and external “heading errors”. A small triaxial attachment over the sensor head converts G2 from a pure scalar magnetometer to a hybrid scalar+3-axis vector magnetometer. G2 is the world’s first hybrid scalar+vector atomic magnetometer with exceptional performance.
- Advanced electronics: G2 has a highly advanced electronics controller with a powerful ARM microcontroller and Xilinx FPGA that provide tons of new features and facilities
- Repairability: If an unforeseen event breaks G2 (UAV crash, for example), we can repair G2 quickly and cost-effectively
Gen-2 Sensor Type
Rubidium optically pumped magnetometer (atomic magnetometer) based on Free Induction Decay (FID).
For more information, please visit: https://quspin.com/qtfm-gen-2-beta/